Sound View Beach, America's First Public Beach, established 1892 - is a 100 foot section of public beach, located at the end of Hartford and Swan Avenues. The beach is open from 9 AM to 8 PM
Sound View Commission information may be found on the Town of Old Lyme web site.
The Town of Old Lyme operates a public parking lot and street parking on Hartford Avenue; a total of paid 80 spaces, including 3 Handicap spaces and 5 spaces for golf carts. Parking fees are charged from 9 AM to 6 PM, and all parking is paid through the Passport Parking app. You will need a smart phone to access this app. The lot is open from 9 AM to 9 PM (closing time dependent on weather and staffing) Entrance is on Hartford Ave.
There are 13 free 30-minute business spaces on the street and lot. 15 spaces in the lot are reserved for resident parking passes only. A resident parking pass may be used in any lot or street paid space if the reserved spaces are filled. One vehicle per space - Motorcycle, Car, or Golf Cart.
The first 2 hours $7.50 (daily)
Weekend & Holidays are $9.50 for each additional hour
Weekdays are $6.50 for each additional hour
All fees are plus transaction fees and tax.
There are seven privately owned & permitted parking lots which provide 178 parking spaces. (Three on Swan Avenue, three on Portland Avenue and one located on Pond Road.) Their times and parking fees are determined by the operators.
• Parking on any street other than designated spaces on Hartford Avenue is prohibited.
• Parking regulations are strictly enforced. Illegal parking will result in ticketing and towing at the owner's expense.
• Golf Carts must be registered with the Town of Old Lyme Sound View Commission, and are subject to special use regulations
Traffic & Beach Capacity Closures
The gates at Swan and Portland Avenues may be closed to entry on high-traffic days and entry to Sound View will be via Hartford Avenue. When the beach reaches capacity, signage will be placed at Hartford Avenue and Shore Road "Beach & Parking Full, Business and resident traffic only" or similar wording.
No lifeguard on duty - swim at your own risk
Prohibited Items / Activities
• Littering - Alcoholic beverages - Pets - Motorized vehicles - Glass containers
• Ball playing - Open fires/grills - Watercraft tied to any swim/buoy line - Fireworks
• Loitering - Camping, sleeping on beach after dark, Enclosed Tents, Smoking or Vaping,
• All containers may be subject to inspection
• Cooler size restriction - No coolers larger than 5 quarts allowed on the beach
• Stand-up paddle boards (SUP) are prohibited within the designated swim areas per order of the Selectmen
• The beach is open from 9 AM to 8 PM. Police/Rangers strictly enforce the beach closing time